Tuesday, September 9, 2008
No Reading During Time-Out
Trey was put on time-out the other day for who knows what. He is on there quite a bit lately as he has hit the terrible two's a year late. It was most likely for taunting his big brother. He loves to do this. He runs after him with any object he can find like he's going to throw it at him, sneaks up behind him & grabs his toy & runs, the list goes on & on. Normally we put him on his bed to think about it for a few minutes & leave the room. We then call to him when he can get off & make sure he knows why he was on time-out. Well, this time, there was not as much protest to get off as there usually is after a minute or two. I walked quietly back into the room to check on him & this is what I found...
This is not right. There is no reading on time-out. It's not supposed to be relaxing & enjoyable (if that were the case I'd be putting myself on time-out daily). He was definitely not thinking about what he'd done wrong. CRAP!! This means I actually have to take time to monitor what is going on while on time-out. Do I really have time to watch what my kids are doing while being punished? That's the purpose of most punishments...to get the kid out of your hair for a few brief minutes, isn't it??? I always wondered if Trey actually grasped the concept of it all & now I guess I have my answer. However, I have to admit that I was trying to hold in my laughter as I took the picture. He did look so grown up & cute!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
With both of my kids I got through the two's and thought "what the heck are people talking about? Terrible two's??? Whatever". Then they turned three and that was when I realized that the three's are SO MUCH worse than the two's! I have also come across the time out issue of them finding toys or books or whatever is nearby (shoes, anything) so I started either putting them on the bottom of the stairs, or I have even had to result to making them stand in the corner. They don't like either, guess that is the point though! :) Cute picture though, bless his heart!
I love it!!! That's so funny. I love how his legs are crossed and he is so intent on what he is reading. SO CUTE!
That is so dang cute. You know, "they" say that kids are supposed to have one minute of timeout per year in age they are. Well, if that's true - I deserve a full half hour of timeout a day! Don't you think?
LOL Liz... totally true. In fact, when my kids get mad at me sometimes I'll ask them if they want me to go to timeout. Of course they say yes, and of course I go :) Doesn't mean it lasts very long, surely not 30 min but I will take what I can get.
I have to agree that "3" is worse than "2", at least with boys. I don't have girls so I don't have anything to compare it with. Mackay has a chair in his room that he sits in, that way he does not have access to books or toys.
You know I work(ed) with 2-3 year olds and our motto has always been, "Whoever said terrible 2's never had a 3 year old!"
Good luck!!
Natalie
hi Emily!
i had so much fun at our Twilight party. you and Pam are fantastic! such Twi-hards! and that brother of yours, too. lol i love it. it's a total family thing.
:) just wanted to say HI and thanks again! and i cannot wait for the movie. woo-hoo!
That is so Trey! He is a character. I love it. I'm just waiting for the moment when Will doesn't mind being in time out. Right now he hates it. (yay!)
Post a Comment