Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to School

So Madelyn's first day of 2nd grade was today. She has been waiting for school to start again since the last day of 1st grade. She could hardly contain her excitement on Saturday, but then when she woke up Sunday morning, the nerves had hit. She was quite nervous all day & had a rough night. (That was made worse by Austin's night terrors, poor kid.) Most of it was just the usual first day anxieties. But she put on a brave face & walked proudly into her classroom, smiling back at me, holding her best friends hand. When I picked her up, she was completely consumed by the excitement again. Her teacher gave each child a big hug before they went in & played fun games with them to get to know their names, & a bunch of stuff that I didn't catch because she was talking so fast. She told me when she got home that she couldn't wait till tomorrow to go back, she wanted to go now:) I am so glad that she likes school so much. It makes it a lot easier to let her go. Of course my boys were asking when she was coming home all day. They get so bored without her. I have no idea what I'll do with Trey when Austin starts next year. I guess I'll have to start getting some ideas right now, maybe then I'll be ready:) And just like the past two years, after I dropped her off & came home, I felt a strange kind of sadness. She has always been such a "light" in our home & when she is gone it just feels weird.
I'm so mad that my camera is still broken. I couldn't get a picture of her on her first day & she looked so adorable (and way too grown up)!! But once again, I am amazed at the strength she shows in overcoming her fears & am very proud of the Independence she is showing. No matter how old & brave she gets, she'll always be my little tiny angel!

7 comments:

Kerryne said...

She is so sweet! I am counting down the days... Sept 4th is when my kids start. As sad as it is to watch them grow up and walk into that classroom, it is equally exciting to think of all of the things you can do... ALONE! He he! Your son has night terrors? Peyton does too, aren't they scary? He started having them when he was 18 months and I was told that by the age of 5 they generally go away but Peyton still has some pretty bad ones! :(

Jess and Brandon said...

Em, how can you have a 2nd grader? I thought we were the same age and I'm not that old! :) Will you e-mail me so we can make plans to get together? I'm so excited to catch up, it has been to long! My e-mail is jandb54@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon!

Kerryne said...

Well... we are moving back to the states for good, not Utah of course, we aren't exactly sure where we are going, however... Bjay has to do training in Vegas for a few months so while he does that I am staying with family in Utah. SO, technically we are leaving between Nov and Dec sometime, but I think I might have to be sure I am home by Nov 21 (just picking a date out of my head, no particular reason, ha ha.... or so my husband will think).

We will definately have to go see it together, I bet we could get a big group of twilight fanatics and your probably right, we will be screaming the whole way in! :)

Liz Morrey Romrell said...

Can I join in the Twilight craziness? I'm always up for a girls night out! Good friends, good food, and Edward...

Kerryne said...

Hey guess what? I just might make my goal and be in Utah be the release of the movie, whoo hooo! According to Bjay he is supposed to leave around Dec 5th but I have decided that I am going to leave beginning of November so that we can get settled and get Peyton in school, since we will be staying there for a few months! So, lets start the planning for this Girls night out!!!!! :)

Sherrie said...

Where are you?

Lyndee said...

I love that she is so excited for school. I wish Kyler was. She is so dang cute.