Friday, June 6, 2008

Oh, The Joy!!!

Madelyn got her processor (hearing aid) today & I have never seen her so happy. She's walking around here sporting a perma-grin:) She loves the fact that she can also hear her own voice better. She struggled a little bit with pronouncing certain words because she literally couldn't hear some of the sounds & then couldn't hear whether she was saying them or not. We have already noticed that we don't have to talk as loud & she is not turning the volume up on everything to hear it better. It is a little funny, though, to watch her jump whenever Lily barks or one of her brothers scream:) She just laughs about it & says, "Wow that was loud". I don't think that we could pull her down from cloud nine right now. Even the doctor who hooked it up & showed us all the ins & outs couldn't help but smile through the whole thing. Her joy is so contagious. She came home & of course called both of her grandma's to tell them the news & can hardly contain the excitement of showing her friends from school. It is definitely a good feeling to have reached the end & to see the pure happiness that she feels. I am really looking forward to watching her in the next few weeks as she is put in different circumstances & see how she does when a room gets loud. If this works the way they say it does, she will have no problem picking out a voice that is calling her name (which she really struggled with before). It is such a wonderful feeling to be able to give your child something as important as perfect hearing when she has gone her whole life without it. Once again, seeing the world through a child's eyes...it's amazing!

This is what her face has looked like since about 8:00 this morning!!


You can get an idea of how big the processor is. Her left ear is slightly smaller that her right, so I guess you can figure that the processor is just a bit smaller than a child's ear.


From this picture you can see how far is sticks out from her head.

5 comments:

Liz Morrey Romrell said...

I am so happy for you all, Emily! I think being able to hear clearly is a blessing that most of us take for granted. Thank goodness for modern medicine!! Congratulations, Maddie!

Kerryne said...

Yay, that is so awesome! I am so excited for her. What a blessing! Keep us posted on her progress, I bet that it is just an amazing feeling for her. I am smiling just thinking of how happy she must be!

Sherrie said...

She is so cute! I have been thinking about you guys the last couple of days, waiting for an update. Glad all went well.

Andrea said...

I am so happy!!! I can't wait to tell Alexis. She is going to be ecstatic. I love the way you described everything. I am going to have Lexi call her so Madelyn can tell her herself. :) WAHOO!!!

Lyndee said...

Congratulations Madelyn!!! She looks so darling. It make me want to cry to think all she has gone though. She is such a strong little girl. I am so very glad that she has finally got it.

Yay for Madelyn!!!